The territory occupied by the previous 26 towns of Rizal Province began with the organization of the Provinces of Tondo and La Laguna during the Spanish regime. Some of the towns like Pasig, Parañaque, Taytay and Cainta were already thriving. Tagalog settlements which carried on trade with the Chinese and Arab traders long before the Spanish conquest.
From the reports of the Encomiendas in 1582-83, the Encomiendas of Moron (Morong) was under the jurisdiction of La Laguna and, the Encomiendas of Passi (Pasig), Taitay (Taytay) and Tagui (Taguig) belonged to the Province of Tondo. It was recorded that in 1591, the Encomiendas of Moron and Taitay were under the jurisdiction of the Franciscan Order in the Province of La Laguna; and the Encomiendas of Nabotas (Navotas), Tambobo (Malabon), Tondo, Parañaque, Longalo (Dongalo), Tagui and Pasig were under the jurisdiction of the Augustinians in the Province of Tondo.
In 1853, a new political subdivision was formed. This consisted of the towns of Antipolo, Bosoboso, Cainta and Taytay from the Province of Tondo; and the towns of Morong, Baras, Tanay, Pililla, Angono, Binangonan and Jalajala from the Province of La Laguna, with the capital at Morong. This district was later changed to Distrito Politico-Militar de Morong after four years.
In 1860, by virtue of Circular No. 83, dated September 2, 1859, the Province of Tondo became the Province of Manila. All its towns were placed under the administration, fiscal supervision and control of the Governor of the new province.
The town of Mariquina (Marikina) became the capital of the Province of Manila during the tenure of the revolutionary government of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. The Province of Morong had for its capital the town of Antipolo for the period 1898-1899, and the town of Tanay for 1899-1900.
On February 6, 1901, the Second Philippine Commission sought to establish civil government in the country through a provincial organization act after the Filipino-Spanish and Filipino-American conflicts.
Wherefore, on June 5, 1901 a historic meeting was held at the Pasig Catholic Church for the organization of a civil government in the Provinces of Manila and Morong, with 221 delegates in attendance. The first Philippine Commission, headed by President William Howard Taft and composed of Commissioners Luke E. Wright, Henry C. Ide, Bernard Moses and Dean C. Worcester, discussed with the Assembly the issue of whether or not to write the Province of Manila with Morong Province, was not self-sufficient to operate as a separate province.
Although the delegates from Morong, Don Hilarion Raymundo and Don Jose Tupas, objected to the proposal, Delegate Don Juan Sumulong of Antipolo strongly advocated the move. After much acrimonious debate and upon the suggestion of Dr.Trinidad H. Pardo de Tavera who accompanied the commission the body agreed on the creation of a new province independent of the Province of Manila. The new province was aptly named after Dr. Jose P. Rizal dubbed as the greatest Malayan that ever lived.
On June 11, 1901, the province of Rizal was officially and legally created by virtue of an Act No. 137 by the First Philippine Commission which during the time was acting as the unicameral legislative body in the island of Luzon.
The new province was composed of twenty-six (26) municipalities, 14 from the old Province of Manila (Las Piñas, Malabon, Makati, Parañaque, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Navotas, Muntinlupa, Taguig, Pateros, Pasig, Marikina, San Mateo, and Montalban); and 12 from the Politico-Militar District of Morong, (Angono, Baras, Binangonan, Cainta, Antipolo, Cardona, Jalajala, Morong, Pililla, Tanay, Taytay and Teresa). The seat of the provincial government is Pasig.
On November 7, 1975, by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 824, the 12 towns of Las Piñas, Parañaque, Muntinlupa, Taguig, Pateros, Makati, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Malabon, Navotas, Pasig and Marikina were incorporated into the newly formed Metro Manila Area thereby leaving theremaining 14 towns of San Mateo, Montalban, Cainta, Taytay, Angono, Antipolo, Binangonan, Teresa, Morong, Cardona, Tanay, Baras, Pililla and Jalajala to the Province of Rizal.
Commerce and Industry
Commerce and industry is a very active economic sector in the municipality. This sector contributes a substantial income to the municipal coffers.
As of late 2009s, commercial activity dominated the economic landscape with 75% of the total number of economic establishments registered with the Business Permits and Licensing Division of the municipal government. There are more than 7000 commercial and industrial firms operating in the municipality.
SM City Taytay is a shopping mall owned and constructed by SM Prime Holdings. It’s the first SM Supermall in the province in Rizal. The mall is located in Manila East Road Taytay, Rizal. The mall in consisting of 2 buildings interconnected with a bridge featuring anchors like the SM Hypermarket, SM Department Store, SM Cinemas, SM Foodcourt, Watsons, SM Appliance Center, Ace Hardware and various shops and restaurants. Wilcon Builders’ Depot also invested in Taytay and opened their one-stop-shop on December 2009. By 2010, the construction of Robinsons Taytay will begin. Another call center company has invested in Taytay, The NCO. Sooner, Taytay will host the biggest call center in Rizal with 4 000 seating capacity. The Taguig City’s project of Mega City will extent to Taytay in a 200-hectare property near the boundary of Taytay and Taguig.
This town is known for its quality ready-made dresses and woodworks, hence the brand “Garments and Woodworks Capital of the Philippines.” Some of the big business establishments are also present. It is interesting to note that Taytay is gaining more investments as time passes by. SM Taytay, Puregold Taytay, the soon Robinsons Taytay, Wilcon Builders Home Depot, and the newest Taytay Sports Complex. Hotels, restautants are also increasing. One of the biggest investments Taytay ever received is the construction of MEGA CITY Project. This include an international airport, financial establishments, commercial centers abd high-rise condominiums.
Mayor Joric Gacula already assigned a committee to study the transformation of Municipality of Taytay from a 1st class town of Rizal to a prosperous CITY of the Philippines. Governor Ynares already expressed his acceptance of Taytay’s petition of becoming a city, thus Taytay will soon have its own representative to the Philippine Congress.
The Municipality of Taytay has an existing road network with a total length of 139.666 km. The two main roads cutting through Taytay and serving as the main access from Metro Manila are Rizal Avenue which leads to the Poblacion and the Central Business district of the town and the Manila East Road connecting from Ortigas Avenue Extension which passes north and northeast of the town center. The roads meet at a junction just off the location of the New Taytay Public Market towards the adjacent town of Angono on its eastern boundary.
G. LINER is one of the largest bus company plying the Southern Luzon Region. It plies routes from Taytay-Quiapo/Lawton (Park n’ Ride) via Cainta Ortigas and vice versa.
The Bulacan-Rizal-Manila-Cavite Regional Expressway (BRMCRE, BRMCREx, or Popularly called Circumferential Road 6 (C6)) is a superhighway in Luzon, Philippines that is now under planning. It will act as a beltway of Metro Manila, so that buses and other transportation vehicles coming from the southern provinces to the northern provinces (and vice versa) need not pass through Metro Manila, thus lessening traffic in the metropolis. When built, C-6 will follow the proposed Metro Manila Tollway route eastward starting from its terminus at the North Luzon Expressway in Marilao in Bulacan province (Expressway segment). C-6 will then pass through San Jose Del Monte City in Bulacan, turn southward and pass through Rodriguez, San Mateo, Antipolo City, Angono, and Taytay in Rizal province, finally entering Taguig City.
Taytay is politically subdivided into 5 barangays.